Monday, February 21, 2011

Weekend Breakfast :: Potato Pancakes

I just love waking up on a Saturday morning and coming down to make a big breakfast. There's just something so special about cooking a real meal in the morning; I suppose it's because it's really the only day of the week where there's time to do so!

This weekend, I decided to try my hand at some potato pancakes. I had never made them before, but we had a ton of fingerling potatoes dying to be eaten. And you know what?

Never make potato pancakes with fingerling potatoes. Never.

They tasted great and the consistency was perfect, but actually shredding fingerling potatoes is miserable. It takes forever, and you'll likely catch your fingers/fingernails/etc on the grater at least 15 times. So please, when you do this at home, use big, fat potatoes that you can get a really good grip on.


Potato Pancakes
adapted from AllRecipes

2 large potatoes (or 20 little fingerling potatoes)
1 egg, beaten
1/3 onion, finely diced
1 tbs flour
Salt & Pepper (I used seasoned salt in lieu of table salt)
Vegetable Oil

Shred the potatoes and dice the onion.

Potato Pancakes 1
Potato Pancakes 2


Mix together with the egg, flour, and seasonings.

Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Scoop a large spoonful of the potato mixture into the pan once the oil is hot, and smash down with a spatula.

Potato Pancakes 3


Cook at medium-high heat for approximately 4 minutes on each side.

Serve with freshly shredded cheese, sour cream, or even a poached egg!

Potato Pancakes 4


Crispy and delicious!


Make sure to stop by FW&MP next week! It's my birthday week, and we're going to have a week-long celebration!

6 comments:

  1. YUM!!! these are my husbands favorite breakfast food, i don't make them nearly enough for him though!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love potato pancakes, these look delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dad will be so proud of you when he reads this post!!
    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok...I just saw your wine label modge podge art....LOVE! Going to share on facebook. Your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't ever had these. Something new to try, they look great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dad LOVES potato pancakes. He would love this recipe. Thanks for linking up Katie!

    ReplyDelete