Monday, February 7, 2011

DIY Vinyl Wall Art

Courtesy of Snowpocalypse 2011, I was stuck indoors for a few days in a row and starting to go a little stir crazy. In an effort to keep my sanity, I decided to tackle the empty wall in my kitchen!

This is the empty wall that has previously housed holiday-themed decor:

edited Fall Leaves in Frames (2) vinyl 2


I'm not a big Valentine's Day person (I know, I know), and I wasn't sure if I wanted to do a Spring theme, so I thought maybe I would do something a little more year-round friendly.

So I got out the Silhouette and some black adhesive vinyl, and started on my new wall decal!

blog Bon Appetit wall decal (2)


I decided to go with the simple words "Bon Appetit" with silverware on each side. Simple and classy, but cute.

After I cut all the vinyl pieces (which I had to do in batches because the machine can't handle such a long strip), I pressed them with books for a few hours. They were so very curled from being tightly rolled up that this helped make it much more manageable.

blog Bon Appetit wall decal (4)


Once the pieces were ready, I peeled off the excess vinyl around the letters, then lined it all up and put it on the transfer paper. This was my first time using the transfer paper, but it worked like a charm! Though I'm pretty sure it's just really wide masking tape.

blog Bon Appetit wall decal (13) blog Bon Appetit wall decal (19)


Then I measured the center of my decal and where I wanted it centered on the wall, and stuck just the top of the transfer tape directly onto the wall. I did this so that I could take a moment to make sure it was level by lining the level up against the top edge.

blog Bon Appetit wall decal (16)


Once I was sure it was straight, I pressed it all down and slowly peeled back the transfer tape, leaving my wall newly adorned!

blog Bon Appetit wall decal (39)


I just love it, and also love how easy it was to do, and how easy it will be to change!


Have you ever done any DIY vinyl wall art? I'd love to see pictures!

14 comments:

  1. Looks great Katie. I have yet to do any vinyl wall art which is totally silly because I have an Expression and have yet to cut any vinyl with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! You're right - simple but classy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Just another reason to make me want a Silhouette!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it looks fabulous! I am so jealous that you have a silhouette! :)gina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks good. I recently just added some to my kitchen. It says Eat, Drink and Be Merry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is snazzy.
    Now, I need to know what that machine is b/c I have never heard of it.
    AND I have been interested in trying out some vinyl decals on canvases.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that looks great and is a super clever idea. I ordered my wall art off of one of those home parties because I had no idea you could make them yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww, thanks! It's not exactly what I was hoping for, but it's still cute. Love the wall art!

    ReplyDelete
  10. GRRR, I hate you for being so damn creative sometimes! This really is awesome. I've said it before - when I get my first home, you're coming out to decorate!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How cute! I didn't know working with vinyl could be that easy. I love the way it turned out!

    shannonsews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I commented earlier but this is still so cute! Perfect for the kitchen. And vinyl is always fabulous! Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete