Wednesday, March 16, 2011

DIY Magazine Holder

Ever since we married and moved in together, there has been a growing stack of magazines on the back of the toilet. And ever since we married and moved in together, it has bugged me. This past weekend, I finally decided I had had enough; those magazines needed a home!

Sure, I could probably pick one up at The Container Store for about $10, but where's the fun in that?


DIY Magazine Holder
made from a 12-pack box

Things you need:

1 12-pack beer/soda bottle box (not cans)
Scissors
Packaging Tape
Mod Podge
Brush
Pretty Paper


Grab your box.

Magazine 1


Cut off the flaps, and cut it in half at the sides (the short ends).

Magazine 2


Slide one side into the other (you'll be surprised at how easily they fit in together) and use the packaging tape to secure the sides and bottom together. Also cut an angled curve off of one side to allow for viewing the magazines.

Magazine 3


Now grab some paper for the outside. For this project, I prefer the really large pieces of paper that can be wrapped all the way around for continuous coverage, but if you were doing a collage or mish-mash of paper, then size doesn't matter.

Magazine 4


Apply Mod Podge to one side of the cardboard holder, and press the paper down, working to get out all the bubbles.

Magazine 5


Work your way around the box until it is completely covered. Trim the ends of the paper so you can fold them down into the inside and underside of the box, and Mod Podge down.

Magazine 6


Now grab another complementing paper, and Mod Podge it to the inside of the box. This will cover up the ends of the outside paper, and will give a nice contrast to the inside. Since this will have magazines in it all the time, you don't have to go all the way to the bottom with the inside paper. Just halfway down or so will be fine since no one will see much further down than the top anyway.

Magazine 7


Finally, apply a topcoat of Mod Podge to the inside and the outside to seal the paper. You may have to do this in batches otherwise it will be hard to find a way for it to dry without it sticking to something!

Once it's dry, slide the magazines in, and enjoy!

Magazine 9




Visit thecsiproject.com

34 comments:

  1. I love recycle projects, this one is Great! Off to find a beer box empty of course! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Think I might try covering with fabric... Where did you get that gorgeous paper?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so perfect, I love it! But my husband is going to think I've gone crazy when I tell him to go ahead and buy a 12-pack next time, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute! That's an excellent solution!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i AM surprised at how easily they fit together! maybe this is how beer makers of the world always intended their packaging to end up...

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so cool! I love the final result. THank you for sharing! And I love that paper you used.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow! What a gorgeous result - I love the project and your great tutorial! Hilarious kitty picture, too. Thanks for a genius way to use an old box!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That turned out way cool thanks for sharing!! Great idea. onehotcrafty-mama.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea! It gives me a reason to go buy a 12 pack. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a great upcycle project. very pretty.

    megan
    craftycpa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. How cute is that Katie!! What a fabulous idea! Love it! Thanks for linking it up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is soo fabulous! love the print you used girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I absolutely love that paper! I just wanted to say I adore your blog and look forward to meeting you at Creative Estates.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great idea. I hope you stop by DIY Home Sweet Home and link up to More The Merrier Monday.

    http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it. This seems a lot sturdier than the cereal box method I've seen. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  16. so clever, simple, pretty and cheap!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that idea. Very strong looking. And beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so barrowing this idea. =) My son needs somewhere to put his magazines and I'd love to make some to organize my magazines in. Too cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hannah, shared this link with me, and I LOVE this! :) Such a great way to recycle!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your cat in the second photo...my cats are the same way with boxes! Thanks for the tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, aren't you creative? Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I LOVE this!!! I have sooooooo many magazines around the house and not sure what to do with them. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's such a neat and easy idea! I love that most people can probably do it with stuff they already have around the house :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is super cute, and practical! You gotta love Mod Podge!

    Congrats on your SITS Day!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great idea, and yours turned out to be so cute! We have magazines laying everywhere..

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great! I have been thinking I need something for my favorite cooking mags in the kitchen ... now I know what I'm making!

    Thanks!

    Enjoy your SITS Day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. How adorable! Where do you come up with such neat ideas?!

    P.S. Happy SITS day! I just loved my visit to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have to try this! Our magazines need some homes, and I haven't found any magazine holders I really like in stores for a good price. These look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete