Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Gushing Over a Garlic Dicer

Even though we have plenty of chopping, slicing, mincing, dicing, and crushing tools in our kitchen, I generally prefer to do things by hand. There's something just so satisfying about using your trusty chef's knife to make a whole meal. A sense of ownership.

But there's one little guy that has a tendency to trump my knife.

blog Garlic dicer (5)


This is a "Garlic Zoom." I got this as a gift about a year ago, and let me tell you, it's awesome.

I should take a step back and point out that I have no affiliation with Chef'n (the creator of the Garlic Zoom), nor have I been approached to write this post or compensated in any way. I just want to share it with you!

blog Garlic dicer (15)


Drop the garlic cloves in the top, and inside is there a spool of little blades. Then just close it up, roll the black wheels along the countertop a couple of times, and the garlic is perfectly chopped up! And of course, even though it's only recommended for garlic, it works wonders on fresh ginger root. The other day, we made a marinade for some flank steak, and in addition to garlic pepper and salt, we added chopped garlic and ginger from our Garlic Zoom:

blog garlic 4

blog garlic 5


Fresh garlic and ginger, fast! And no knife cleaning.

Speaking of cleaning...

blog Garlic dicer (22)


...the whole thing comes apart, and is dishwasher safe. Anything that makes my life easier and is dishwasher safe is a winner in my book.

You can pick one up at most kitchen-y stores, like Bed, Bath, & Beyond and Williams-Sonoma. You can also find it online here at Amazon.com. And most places they're $10 or less!


What's your favorite little kitchen tool?

6 comments:

  1. that little tool sounds fabulous! I cut garlic by hand just the other day and my hands were stinky forever.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I need to add that to my kitchen gadgets. I can't stand stinky garlic hands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you like this better than a garlic press? I'm guessing it's nice because it lets you control how finely it gets chopped, as opposed to the press which pulverizes it...and @Mandy - make sure to always wash your hands in COLD water after cutting onions and garlic - HOT water opens up the pores in your skin and absorbs the smell more! Love that trick :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharin this! I love chopping stuff by hand except for garlic. I tend to use the pre-diced stuff a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool little tool :) Also nice photos ;).

    ReplyDelete