Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Shredded Pork and Chicken Flautas

Waaay back, over a year ago when this was just a wee little blog, I posted a recipe for shredded pork flautas. Little did I know, that would be my first "hit" recipe. People just loved them, and even came back and told me when they made them!

This past weekend, we made them again, and I thought it might be time to bring them back for a post. To change them up, we made half of them filled with shredded pork, and half filled with grilled shredded chicken. It was a great variation!


Shredded Pork and Chicken Flautas

Small flour tortillas
Slow-cooked shredded pork
Grilled, seasoned chicken, shredded
Red tamale sauce (can use a packet)
Oil


In the last post, I started by showing the best way to make juicy, flavorful shredded pork. I'll let you reference that here, and I'll start from the point of actually making the flautas.

Pour enough oil in a non-stick pan to easily cover the bottom. Heat the oil hot enough to sizzle, and place a tortilla in the pan. It will begin to puff, and will begin to fry. Flip after about 30 seconds, leave on the opposite side for 30 seconds, and remove it and place it on a plate with a paper towel on the bottom.

IMG_1477


Repeat for each tortilla, placing a paper towel between each one.

Let the tortillas rest for a minute until they are cool enough to handle, but still warm.

Next, grab a tortilla, and place a strip of meat on the inside. I place mine slightly off-center so that it rolls easier and stays rolled.

IMG_1481


Repeat with all the meat, both chicken and pork. I did chicken and pork separately, but there's no reason why you can't get creative and mix them!

IMG_1485


Bake set them all on a baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes, until they are crispy and brown.

IMG_1492


Serve topped with red enchilada sauce and alongside some grilled corn or rice. Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. This looks so yummy! My hubs would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sublime! Well-plated and well-executed. Thanks so much for stopping by Momtrends Friday Food (http://www.momtrends.com/2011/06/friday-food-farmers-classic-pickle-event/) and adding this recipe. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing - i'd add some sour cream and guacamole, but maybe that's just me. Yumm!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum yum yum this looks great! i love shredded pork! and it's been too long since i've had mexican!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Question: approximately how long does the pork need to slow cook? I'd like to make this recipe, but my pork is frozen right now, so I kinda need a time estimate before I commit :) If you have a second, shoot me an email at emi_jo08(at)hotmail(dot)com. I'd really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete