Tuesday, June 14, 2011

New Comforter: Repurposed Duvet

As you know, my third anniversary with my husband was last week. And in the past three years of marital bliss, I have to confess that our bed looked like this:

01 Old Bedroom Bedding


And in case you can't quite see in the above picture, here is a close up of that comforter:

02 Old Bedspread hearts flowers yarn ties


Pretty faded daisies, tulips, hearts, and ribbons. And let's not forget the super-awesome yarn ties. Don't get me wrong, this comforter has a very special place in my heart. My grandma made this comforter for me when I got my first big girl bed at the young age of 5, and it is to this day the most comforting comforter ever. However, not the most appropriate for a married couple. Also, it's made for a full size bed, and we have a queen.

Now taking a step back, we did actually get some bedding when we got married three years ago. We registered for a nice down comforter and and charcoal gray duvet and skirt/sham set. Since we were moving to Chicago and assumed it was cold all the time, the down comforter made sense to us. Fast forward a couple months, we got to Chicago, and guess what?

Down comforters are hot.

Really, really hot.

We lasted about 3 months with it before giving up all together, and the down comforter has lived in the closet ever since.

I recently started looking for some new bedding, but just couldn't find anything I really liked. I also kept comparing everything to the charcoal duvet set I already had, since I really liked the shade and feel of the fabric. Finally, one day it hit me: just make the duvet cover into a comforter!

And that's exactly what I did.

03 Duvet fabric charcoal striped


I started by taking out all the seams and laying it out on the floor. Of course, you know me, I couldn't just stick some batting in it and call it a day. I had to make it my own!

After heaps of scraps and plenty of measuring, cutting, and sewing, it started to take its new form.

04 Comforter stripe


I sewed a stripe down the center using this pretty Joel Dewberry Damask fabric.

05 Completed Comforter


I then stuffed it with two layers of extra-loft batting, queen size. I lightly tacked it in a couple places to keep it from shifting (sorry Grandma, no yarn ties!), and my new comforter was complete!

...Ok, in reality this took me a ton of hours spread out over two days. Sewing something this large takes a lot of time and measurement, and being creative with the stripe just adds to the time! Not to mention, I also got a little creative with the underside...

06 Completed Comforter Damask yellow gray


I decided it would be fun to sew the underside using a yellow fabric to pull out the yellow in the damask, and continue the stripe down the center. I love how I can make my bed now two different ways to get two different looks!

17 comments:

  1. That last picture, showing the yellow side turned down, really "made" this project for me. Excellent work and happy napping :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice, I love that fabric stripe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the contrasting fabrics. And your cat is 'sew' friggin cute too! Visiting from Sugar Bee Crafts.
    ~ Kimberlee at The Spunky Diva 

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so incredibly talented! I absolutely adore the way this turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty! I love how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. turned out perfect :)

    Jackie
    http://jaclyndesigns.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute makeover! And I love the cat too!

    Thanks for linking up with me last week for Friday Favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you did an outstanding job and i love simon on the bed too! he approves;)
    gina

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where did you purchase that fabric with such an impressive pattern! It's the most important.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I cherish the differentiating fabrics. Furthermore, your feline is "sew" dag nab charming as well! Going to from Sugar Bee Crafts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks pretty.Love this stripe in the center.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Managing available simple things into perfect. Wow that's great. Need to learn from you. Thank you Katie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree. Down comforter is always too hot for me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! That seem so simple yet it looks so nice.

    ReplyDelete