Friday, June 10, 2011

Anniversary Wine Album

It's no secret that Chris and I like wine, and I do plenty of crafts with the debris. From glass etched wine bottles to wine corks to my massive wine label collage, we have a serious wine theme going in our home.

So given the emphasis we have on wine, it's not surprising that we still save some wine labels for their sentimental value. Specifically, we save the labels from our anniversary wine bottles.

The label from our first anniversary is front and center in our wine label collage, so unfortunately it will be immortalized in the collage forever. However, starting with our second anniversary, I saved the label and stuck it in a photo album I had lying around.

IMG_1293


A nice black page, written with the date and year with a silver pen, very classy. The only problem was that the outside didn't quite share the same level of class.

IMG_1285


I stuck it away, always holding in the back of my mind the intention to give it a makeover. It wasn't until I pulled it out this year for our 3rd anniversary label that I finally determined it was time!

I used Mod Podge to cover the album in a pretty pearl and silver swirly paper. I then created a label using my Silhouette (mostly because I don't have a printer), outlined in a square of solid silver paper.

IMG_1294


I then covered the back in the solid silver, to create a slight contrast to the front of the album.

IMG_1310


Finally I gave the whole thing a nice topcoat of glossy Mod Podge.

IMG_1324


I love the way it turned out, and I can't wait to slowly fill up the pages with a label for each year!

final anniversary wine label album

7 comments:

  1. I love the fact that you do this! What a great idea to keep all the labels in a book. I think it's things like this that our kids will love & appreciate on down the road :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this turned out awesome! and you have inspired me to start saving wine labels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! Love it. You share the same anniversary as my husband and I, but a different year. We were married on June 6, 1987.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally wish I would have thought of this (eight years ago). I can't remember any of the wines we had on our anniversary save one cheap bottle of Yellow Tail Chard that we tried to throw in the ocean and see if it would go anywhere but it just washed back on shore making for a good picture. [whew longest comment sentence ever]

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so sweet! I think you could try to take a really good picture of the label from your first anniversary and put that in the book (maybe print it out with the matte finish so it looks less like a photo). You could also use some kind of photo editing (Poladroid, effects in Picnik) to make the picture fun and cover up a non-perfect picture and put that in your book... just some thoughts (because I've totally done stuff like that with tickets or whatever that I've used in an early project and wanted later - and liked the results, you might just have to play around with it)! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is cool Katie! What a great job you did - love :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a cute idea! I do a lot of scrapbooking myself and to have an entire wine album is the cutest thing ever! Happy SITS day!

    ReplyDelete