Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Red Curry Stuffed Peppers

You all know that one of my absolute favorite things to do is make up recipes. I get inspired by all the different flavors, and love when something turns out well! I recently put my kitchen experimenting hat on when I saw a recipe for stuffed bell peppers.

As you probably know, a traditional stuffed bell pepper is a bell pepper with the top cut off, stuffed with ground beef and rice with usually some sort of tomato soup sauce drizzled on. It is then baked until the meat is cooked though.

When I saw this basic dish on a recipe website, I immediately thought to myself, “What if I change up these flavors?” Since it’s a great concept (meat in a pepper, cooked), there’s no rule that you have to follow the old way of making them! So I went home, decided on some basic flavors, and off I went!

Red Curry Stuffed Peppers

In order to get a slightly healthier dish, I decided to start with chicken instead of ground beef. But to get the same textural effect as ground beef, I minced my chicken breast.

edited Stuffed Peppers (3)


I then started some rice soaking in some water. Since the chicken doesn’t have as much fat as ground beef, there will be fewer juices for the rice to soak up, so I did a little pre-soak.

edited Stuffed Peppers (4)


Next, I chopped up one large shallot.

edited Stuffed Peppers (5)


I threw the chicken and chopped shallot into a metal mixing bowl so I could mix it up with the seasonings.

I began by adding some red curry paste.

edited Stuffed Peppers (11)


I don’t really know what made me think of red curry paste, but for some reason the tomato soup and red bell pepper just sounded like it would go well with a big punch of red curry!

I then added salt, pepper, and smoked paprika.

edited Stuffed Peppers (12)


I set this aside then and grabbed my dear friend, Mr. Campbell’s Tomato Soup.

edited Stuffed Peppers (9)


I mixed up the condensed soup with a can of water, and added a little more of the curry paste directly to the soup.

Then, I drained the rice, and added it to the chicken mixture, along with about 2-3 tablespoons of the curry soup. Again, since the chicken doesn’t provide enough moisture naturally, it’s good to add some extra in to ensure that the rice cooks!

edited Stuffed Peppers (15)


Time to stuff!

Instead of cutting the top off the pepper and doing two full peppers, I cut one large, tall pepper down the middle, creating two halves.

edited Stuffed Peppers (7)


I stuffed the peppers, and placed them in a baking pan with the remaining curry tomato soup.

edited Stuffed Peppers (16)


Stick in a 375 degree oven, and cook until a meat thermometer in the center shows the chicken is done. For us, it was about 40 minutes, but it will vary based on how thick the stuffing is in the pepper, how big the pepper is, etc. Moral of the story, nobody likes raw chicken. Use a meat thermometer!

edited Stuffed Peppers (18)


When we pulled them out of the oven, they looked like this!

We served them over rice, and drizzled some of the tomato soup over the whole dish.

edited Stuffed Peppers (19)


Absolutely delicious! Chris was taken aback at how much he liked the curry flavor with the tomato soup, and I was surprised at how good the chicken was!

edited Stuffed Peppers (20)


Here’s to a kitchen experimenting success story!

6 comments:

  1. Ooooh. I think my son would LOVE this. Curry, chicken, red peppers are among his faves. Did you use the Thai red curry paste?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo on your curried inspiration!

    Todd had made a massive batch of Rice and Gandulas (rice and pidgeon peas--it's a Puerto Rican dish that is fabulous comfort food) so we stuffed some green peppers with the leftovers and topped it with a red pepper sauce. I think you can stuff a pepper with almost anything and have it be delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing and something I think my family would actually eat. Thanks for sharing! Stopping by from SITS to say hello :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I once made a crab stuffed pepper...that was way before I realized I should spend my time in the kitchen to just make sugary items. Your creation looks yummy!
    PS I had to look up what mod podge was. Yes, yes I did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow this sounds amazing, I will definitely have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOh, yummy, they look delicious!
    I have a big request for all of you bloggers out there, I am in a contest for one of the posts I did on losing some weight. I just really need to have your vote because I would love to win this contest! All you need to do is go to the link I will put below and first become a fan or push the like button and then go to the right column and under the 14 pictures, click on my picture and make a comment that you vote for me! I know the power of blogland is big, so can you please vote! I would so, so, appreciate it!!!
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Lehi-UT/Kristi-Approved/391083710513?ref=ts

    ReplyDelete