Tuesday, September 28, 2010

A Crafty Chair Makeover

What a fun weekend this was!

I started it off by learning some new tricks and crafts at the Chicago Craft Social, and I got to meet some great new friends!

Then, I followed it up with a weekend of some great projects with a wonderful, helpful, and I must say patient friend.

So, let's kick off this post with one very fun project, and a recap of what I started with:

edited chair


Remember this black chair I shared with you last post? This chair was destined to become my craft chair, to go with my new craft desk. But the all-black was just not nearly creative enough for a craft chair, so I had to give it a makeover!

I started by removing the seat cushion (which was only attached by 5 screws) and began to spray paint it.

edited Spray Paint

Chair mid spray paint


We were very careful to do very light layers of spray paint, and allow time to dry between coats. Since I started with a metal surface, I wanted to make sure not to cake on the paint and thus give it the chance to chip off later.

After a lot of patience, we were here!

Chair sprayed back

Chair sprayed front


We were SO LUCKY - the single can of spray paint we had was exactly the amount of spray paint we needed. Even a little less would've resulted in some patchy spots!

We then moved indoors and began to recover the chair.

We started by removing the black faux leather fabric that was currently on the chair. Then, we cut a square of this fabulous Robert Kaufman fabric, and began to staple away!

Chair recovering 2Chair recovering


When all the staples were in, we trimmed the fabric to be closer to the staples, and to expose the screw holes.

Chair recovering 3


Finished!

Chair recovering 4


Then, all it took was screwing it back on, and the chair was done!

Chair final 2


I absolutely love my new craft chair. Now I can't wait to tackle the craft desk redo so that the chair has somewhere to live!

Chair final 1

15 comments:

  1. I like how you put little pictures of chairs on your chair. That way you can sit while you sit. :) It looks very cute though. Any crackle paint yet?? That's make it soooo cool! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. REALLY cute! I love that fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing, I love it! That fabric is so cool. I need to do some projects like this, so easy and so unique!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Katie, thanks for stopping by my blog, I really appreciate it! I love yours and will definitely be trying some of those recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SUPER CUTE! where did you get that fabric?

    okay, this makes me think i can maybe ro minute reupholstering. i've been to intimidated to even think it was a possibility! maybe i can get up the guts to try it out soon! thanks for sharing, really!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so adorable. I like it better in white; it looks like a little cafe chair. The fabric is perfect;-) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love how it turned out! Cute blog and love the name; look forward to reading more.
    Thanks for vising and following Mark it with a B. I'm following you now too!
    Have a great weekend,
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  8. I recovered my craft chair a few weeks ago but forgot to take before and during photos because I got so carried away in the process.

    ReplyDelete
  9. turned out great ! I have a big ottoman to cover next week and I have gotten several ideas from your work .thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a super idea for making over your chair. Spray paint makes a huge difference and the fabric you found is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks amazing! The colors are perfect.

    www.uvinyl.com
    www.uvinyl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. best office chair under 200 dollars is the special purpose serving chair for office work.It's not of the regular ergonomic ones. It's outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am very happy to be here because this is a very good site that provides lots of information about the topics covered in depth. Im glad to see that people are actually writing about this issue in such a smart way, showing us all different sides to it. Please keep it up. I cant wait to read whats next. office desks west palm beach

    ReplyDelete