Friday, November 19, 2010

Butternut Squash Soup with Wild Rice and Andouille Sausage

Recently, I was wandering through the produce market, and saw a huge stand full of butternut squashes. (Squashes? Squash? Squashi? What's the plural of squash?) Now, I know this is a wonderful fall vegetable, but to be completely honest, I had never, ever tried it. I've seen it in plenty of recipes, but never even eaten it out at a restaurant. But I couldn't help myself, I had to pick one up and give it a shot!

After combing through butternut squash soup recipes, I came across one I just couldn't pass up. It was a soup recipe that wasn't just pureed squash, but also had sausage and rice and, well, flavor and texture. If I was going to make this a full dinner, it needed to be more than just pureed squash. So I grabbed the recipe, adapted it slightly, and the result was fantastic!

Butternut Squash Soup with Wild Rice and Andouille Sausage
adapted from Emeril Lagasse's Smoked Sausage, Butternut Squash, and Wild Rice Soup

Start with one butternut squash.

blog Butternut Squash Soup (1)
blog Butternut Squash Soup (4)


Core it, removing all the seeds and membrane, and cube it, removing all skin. Then drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.

blog Butternut Squash Soup (6)


Spread out the squash on a baking sheet, and bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until tender.

blog Butternut Squash Soup (8)
blog Butternut Squash Soup (9)


Remove from oven, and let cool completely. This is a good thing to do waaaaaaay before you intend to make the soup, so you're not anxiously waiting for the squash to cool.

When your squash has cooled, puree it with 1 cup of chicken stock.

blog Butternut Squash Soup (12)
blog Butternut Squash Soup (13)


Setting the puree aside, move on to your wild rice. Begin cooking 1 cup of wild rice in 4 cups of chicken stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer and cover. This will take upwards of 45 minutes, so check often to make sure the rice does not get too dry. Additional water may be necessary. Cook until the rice is just barely less than al dente, so just slightly underdone.

Once the rice is on, begin cutting up the andouille sausage. Emeril's recipe calls for smoked sausage, but I found some awesome Amy's Chicken Andouille Sausage that has way more flavor and is much healthier for you, and I think it made a world of difference.

blog Butternut Squash Soup (16)


Sautee your andouille with one medium white onion, chopped, and some olive oil.

blog Butternut Squash Soup (20)
blog Butternut Squash Soup (21)


Sautee until the onions begin to brown and become soft, and brown bits start sticking to the bottom of the pan. Once this happens, add 3 cups of chicken stock and your squash puree.

blog Butternut Squash Soup (22)


Bring to a simmer for 15 minutes, uncovered.

Next, add the cooked wild rice.

blog Butternut Squash Soup (25)


Then add 3/4 cup whole milk and a handful of chopped Italian parsley.

blog Butternut Squash Soup (27)


Simmer for 10 minutes. During the final 10 minutes, get out your bowls, and toast up some nice, crusty sourdough bread.

Serve up, and enjoy!

blog Butternut Squash Soup (30)
blog Butternut Squash Soup (31)

8 comments:

  1. That looks great! I would have stopped at just eating the butternut squash roasted because I love it so much. You have to try butternut squash risotto!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn you for always making me hungry! This really looks excellent, and I hate wild rice...you're turning me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just had some butternut squash soup at lunch. Yours looks so much better. In fact, it would probably beat up the thin soup I had any day. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you know, it seems like such a simple thing, but the way you cut the sausages is pretty brilliant! love the recipe!
    Found you through SITS :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh! Looks good! I can't wait until it gets cold here in Louisiana so I can try this. I really enjoy trying new soups :)

    I would love for you to link this up to What's Cooking Wednesday!

    http://notsohomemade.blogspot.com/2010/11/chicken-spaghetti-casserole-1124-whats.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stopping in from SITS and now I am starving! Great photos and blog. Happy Thanksgiving.
    ~Gay~
    itsahodgepodgelife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have had butternut squash soup once at it was at a restaurant. I fell in love with it but I am afraid to make it since I have no idea what they did to it. This sounds like a fantastic recipe. I am sure that I would love this. I cannot wait to five it a try.

    ReplyDelete