Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Banana Bread with Chocolate and Crystallized Ginger

I've gotten to the point where I pretty much only read novels that have recipes in them. Don't get me wrong, regular novels are nice too; but food is such a part of my life, that I like reading stories where it's a part of the characters' lives too! And who can go wrong with a few new recipes?

I'm reading a book right now called A Homemade Life: Stories and Recipes from my Kitchen Table. It's a cute web of stories that tie to plenty of great recipes.



One recipe really caught my eye though: Banana Bread with Chocolate and Crystallized Ginger. The banana bread my mom made growing up always had chocolate chips in it (and no nuts - heaven forbid!), so this really is only a slight variation of my childhood favorite. I loved the idea of adding some chopped crystallized ginger to my recipe for a twist on a classic. Since I already love my tried-and-true banana bread recipe of my mom's, I decided to go ahead and make a loaf, and throw in some chopped crystallized ginger.

The result: wonderful! The ginger is really mild, but adds a wonderful sweet spice to the bread. Give it a try!

Chocolate Chip Banana Bread, now with Crystallized Ginger!

1/2 C butter
1 C sugar
2 eggs
2-3 ripe bananas (I generally freeze very ripe ones to save for this recipe)
3 T milk
2 C flour
1 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 C mini chocolate chips
1/4 C finely chopped crystallized ginger

Cream butter and sugar.

Banana bread (3)


Add eggs and beat well.

Banana bread (4)


Add bananas...

Banana bread (5)


... as well as milk, flour, baking powder, and baking soda.

Banana bread (6)


Beat until smooth.

Add mini chocolate chips and chopped ginger.

Banana bread (9)


Fold in with a spatula. Pour batter into a large greased loaf pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, lower temperature to 300 for another 15-20 minutes, until outside is browned and a toothpick comes out clean.

Banana bread (10)


Hope you enjoy this twist on a classic!



Linking up to
Visit thecsiproject.com

13 comments:

  1. i read this book a few months ago and thought molly had a great way of using food as a way to tell us about the big moments in her life. hope you're enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious - I prefer my banana bread with no nuts!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. :::stomach growling::: YUM! I'd give anything for a few slices for breakfast today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm...I'm intrigued by the addition of the ginger. I will have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a huge fan of crystallized ginger! And of course who doesn't love chocolate chips?!? I am definitely going to try this. Thanks for such a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice recipe, stop by and give me a visit, newest follower

    http://lnowak.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. You should ship some out here to Cali....if you're my friend ;). Or maybe I'll just have to come get some. I wish I had time to cook ;(

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard of this flavour combination before but it sounds and looks delicious!

    Thanks for visiting my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I actually have 6 bananas in the freezer waiting to be made into banana bread. I'm not sure about the ginger though, I really just like the mini chocolate chips.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a great addition, especially for this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks scrumptious! Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites last week!

    Hope you'll stop by again this week. I'm celebrating my blogiversary with a giveaway for a Presto Cool Touch Griddle!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks delish! Totally caught my eye at the linky party (-:
    I'm your newest follower and would love for you to check out my blog too...
    www,yesterdayontuesday.com
    Hugs! Malia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum! This sounds warm and delicious!! The ginger is such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete