Sunday, July 4, 2010

Homemade Pretzel Bites

I'm a sucker for all things carbs, and let me tell you, soft pretzels are right at the top of my list! The dough has a familiar but strangely unique flavor that only pretzels have. They're chewy, but not too chewy, soft, airy but not overly so, and the topping/filling/sauce possibilities are endless!

So when I came across the Pretzel Bites recipe from Alice and the Mock Turtle, I couldn't wait to give them a try myself! My parents were coming into town that weekend, and knowing that they love to cook as well, I held off to make them until they got here so we could all try it together.

Ingredients:

Dough
2 1/2 tsp active yeast
2 Tbsp plus 1 tsp brown sugar, divided
1/4 c warm water
1 c warm milk
3 c flour

Dough bath
6 c water
4 tsp baking soda
4 tbsp butter, melted

Start by combining the yeast, 1 teaspoon brown sugar, and warm water in your mixing bowl. Set aside until foamy, about 10 minutes.

edited Pretzels (1)


Next, warm some milk and stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons brown sugar until it has fully dissolved.

edited Pretzels (2)


Add the first 2 cups flour and the milk mixture to the yeast mixture. Mix until blended well. Then, add the last cup of flour and mix dough in mixer with dough hook until soft dough forms. Place the dough ball in a well, oiled large bowl, roll it around to coat the dough, and cover with a towel and place in a warm, dry area to rise.

edited Pretzels (4)


Impatiently wait for 2 hours, until the dough has doubled in size and bubbles appear on the surface.

While you're waiting for the dough to rise, you can get your filling ingredients ready. Although Alice uses cheese and Canadian bacon, that's just what she did - what you do it completely up to you! We happened to have a Boar's Head pepperoni stick in the fridge, so we decided to use that. It's pretty small in diameter, but these pretzel bites are pretty small too, so I cut them in quarters.

edited Pretzels (5)


Once the dough is ready, punch it, knead it a little bit more, then divide it in four pieces. We'll be working in batches at this point, which actually makes the experimenting even more fun!

Roll out one of the quarters of dough out into a square. Then divide that into 8 smaller squares. I used a pizza cutter for this, it made it super simple. Then place your filling on the dough squares.

edited Pretzels (8)


Then wrap the edges of the dough up and press them together so you get a little ball. Turn them edge-side-down on a greased cookie sheet as you work through the dough.

Here's where the creativity allowed by working in batches gets fun! I rolled my next quarter out, and...

edited Pretzels (7)


Crunchy Peanut Butter!! This suggestion came from my dad, who absolutely loves crunchy peanut butter. (Gee, I wonder where I get that from!) Side note: this would be such a fun recipe to do with kids because really they can choose from a million different options!

We finished out the third quarter with 4 peanut butters, 4 pepperoni's, and laid them all on the cookie sheet.

edited Pretzels (10)


For the last quarter of dough, we decided to do old fashioned pretzel knots.

edited Pretzels (11)


Anyone else think that looks unusually like Australia? No? Just me? Moving on...

edited Pretzels (12)


Once all your pretzels are ready, begin to preheat your oven to 400F. Then start a large pot of boiling water on the stove (6 cups), and add 4 tsp baking soda.

edited Pretzels (13)


When your water is at a rolling boil, work in batches to put the pretzels in.

edited Pretzels (31)


Allow the pretzels to cook for about 20 seconds each, making sure to turn once while cooking.

edited Pretzels (49)


Put them back on the cookie sheet when they are done, and work your way through the whole batch.

Before sticking them all in the oven, we decided to sprinkle a little garlic salt on the plain pretzel knots for a little flavor.

edited Pretzels (80)


Then put in oven and impatiently wait some more.

edited Pretzels (84)


After 10-15 minutes, they should have turned a wonderful golden brown.

edited Pretzels (85)


Then brush them all with melted butter, and serve!

edited Pretzels (88)


Here's what the pepperoni bites looked like when we bit into them:

edited Pretzels (90)


...and the PB bites.

edited Pretzels (91)


And the verdict? We all agreed that of the two filled pretzel bites, the peanut butter was better. It actually became this really nice firm, almost chewy center filling, which complimented the dough well. The pepperoni was good, but I think because it was so dry, it didn't add much other than a saltiness. Maybe had we added cheese it would've been better.

But overall, we actually agreed the plain pretzel knots were the best! They just tasted like a true pretzel, and we couldn't get enough of them!

Either way, this is a fun recipe to do with a group since you can do so many different things with them!

20 comments:

  1. They look yummy (but then any doughy goodness straight out of the oven looks yummy to me)!

    As an Aussie, I can see a vague resemblance to what a 5yo might draw as a map of Australia after reading your comment, but you've got an abstract mind to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh YUM!!! What a great idea & I like that you can get creative with the fillings. Thanks for linking to Craftastic Monday:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by my blog I am so glad you did. Love foodie blogs and love this recipe! I am now your newest fan :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. yum!

    i would think that the pepperoni was better. but that's because i like salt. more than not salt...

    also. whew. i'm so glad you didn't stuff any of the pretzels with modpodge. although your "warm milk" picture is quite suspicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! These sound sooooo good. ;) We have family in town this week and I think this will be a great activity to do together. Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. *Gasp!* Can you come to Albuquerque and make these for me? PLEASE?? That looks insanely delicious! :)

    http://lambaround.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look irresistible! Mmmmmmmmmm, warm and melt in my mouth! Thanks. LOVE your pics!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your photographs are AMAZING! Great job...my mouth is watering!
    Smiles!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those look so yummy! I left you an award on my blog! Hope you have a great week!

    http://paigefaulkner.blogspot.com/2010/06/and-award-goes-to.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. yum yum yum! One day I too will make these. One day ;)

    following from look what i made ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Saying hi from SITS! What a fun recipe. In fact, it looks OMG! Yummy. I think I'll have to try it. We're a carbo-loving family as well. Come by and say hi when you have a spare moment: omgyummy.wordpress.com.

    Looking forward to taking a longer look around.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look so tasty. It's high time for me to get a stand mixer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. ooooh gonna give these a try. looks like some work with the boiling and baking. Do they freeze well do you know? new follower from nff

    ReplyDelete
  15. The pretzel knots with garlic salt look incredible. I am not good with dough from scratch though.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Definitely adding this to my recipe tab! They look delicious and kiddo friendly! Thanks for sharing at It's Party Time Thursday@PonyTails&FishScales!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I featured you at PonyTails&FishScales It's Party Time Thursday!

    terelauritsen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I made these last week and WOW... delicious. Just blogged about them and linked back to you: http://acraftyescape.blogspot.com/2010/07/tasty-thursday-homemade-pretzel-bites.html

    Thanks for sharing this yummy recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A few weeks ago me and my kids had a soft pretzel at the mall and they have been talking about them ever since. I have been searching for an easy recipe. I am hoping to try tomorrow. Thanks for the post.

    Lisa
    www.lisarecipecards.blogspot.com

    PS - My hubby is a sucker for chunky peanut butter so I am going to give those a try

    ReplyDelete