Saturday, July 24, 2010

Yarn Wreath

I have been seeing yarn wreaths everywhere lately, it seems. Between Etsy, crafty blogs, and the real world, yarn wreaths seem to be a great craft that's really catching on! I look at them and think, how cute! But especially the ones on Etsy seem to be $50 and up - yikes! So this past weekend, I decided to venture out to Michael's and get some supplies to make my own version.

I started with a green floral wreath. I thought I was going to go styrofoam, but this is much sturdier.

I then decided I would do an alternating stripe pattern around the wreath with light blue and charcoal yarn. But before beginning to wrap, I measured and marked how wide I wanted the stripes so that they would look uniform.

Then it was time to wrap! I started by hot gluing the end of the yarn to the back of the wreath, and began wrapping around until I reached the next measured marker. I glued the end to the back again, and snipped it off. I continued on then with the next color.

edited Wreath (1)


I made sure to pull the yarn nice and tight, and was constantly pushing it tighter together so that no green from the wreath had a chance to show through.

Once I had two colors down, I knew I wanted another design on top for a little pop of color. So I got out a royal blue yarn, and made a criss-cross pattern where the two stripes met.

edited Wreath (3)


I continued this pattern all the way around until the wreath was completely covered in yarn.

edited Wreath (5)


Once I was done with wrapping the wreath, I wanted some sort of decoration to give it some dimension. So I decided to make a couple felt dahlias! Using the same method I used in my post on the felt dahlia tutorial, I made a light blue felt dahlia. Then I made another charcoal dahlia, but skipped the outside layer of petals and only did the smaller two layers so I had a smaller dahlia.

edited Wreath (6)


I hot glued the flowers on at the bottom of the wreath, slightly off center.

edited Wreath (11)


Then to hang the wreath, I made a little yarn braid with two pieces of royal blue yarn, and one piece of light blue yarn.

edited Wreath (12)


Now my door looks so much happier and more inviting!


Visit thecsiproject.com

14 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks amazing! Seriously, I don't know what is cuter, the wreath itself or the dahlias. You did an amazing job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. really nice, I want to try this and will check out your flower tutorial. You have some super recipes and ideas, clever young lady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty! I love the little blue criss-crosses to make it more interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those felt Dahlias are gorgeous, and the wreath came out fantastic. I'm visiting from NFF at the Girl Creative. Your blog name really stood out ~ three of my favorite things :)

    I love your style and look forward to getting inspired by reading more of your posts. New follower, Jenn @ Rook No. 17

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving that! I've yet to try my hands at the felt dahlias, but it's so on my list of things to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great tutorial, so I'm extending you an invite:

    come link your tutorial up with us so our readers can find you:
    http://www.finecraftguild.com/diy-tutorial-linky-party-7/
    (for your future creativity: new party = every wednesday, findable from the home page)

    we love to feature you,

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cute is that!? You were the comment above me on SITS today. I just wanted to come by and say hi!
    Tiffany
    www.pedicurestopuddles.blogspot.com
    The Blissful life of a 'Boy Mom'

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, love this! I need one to put on my craft room door!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adorable! I love all of the yarn colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very Creative work I am from friday follow. I will keep coming back for updates.

    wandysue

    http://countryfixins2009.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that looks awesome...time consuming but well worth it! Thanks for sharing at It's Party Time Thursday@PonyTails&FishScales!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! So pretty- and EASY.

    I feel like this is something I could handle.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is adorable! I will have to try this! I am visiting from Girl Creative! I love all of your recipes and crafts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness thats adorable it looks so time consuming though.

    ReplyDelete