Saturday, June 12, 2010

Spiced Popcorn

Today, Chris had a craving for popcorn, but I was kind of sick of the average, plain popcorn. Since it is rainy and miserable out, I suggested we take a little time and try out a spiced popcorn! I have seen recipes before in magazines and online, but had never actually tried them. And now I'm so glad I did, because WOW! This stuff is so absolutely delicious!

Spiced Popcorn

Start by popping 1/2 cup popcorn in the way that you like. We sometimes do air popped popcorn, but for this recipe, we decided to use Alton Brown's Perfect Popcorn preparation method.

We used 1/2 cup popcorn with 2 tbs peanut oil.

Edited Spiced Popcorn (2)


Toss to coat the kernels in oil, and quickly cover tightly with aluminum foil.

Edited Spiced Popcorn (8)


Poke a few holes in the top to allow the steam to vent.

Edited Spiced Popcorn (9)


Keep it constantly moving so the kernels don't settle. It will start to pop fairly quickly. Don't stop shaking the bowl until all kernels are popped, approximately 3 minutes. Then remove from heat and set aside.

Now grab the ingredients for the spiced topping.

Edited Spiced Popcorn (15)


- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder (the recipe calls for cayenne, but I couldn't find our cayenne so I substituted it with the chipotle powder)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons salt

And of course, we can't forget the most important ingredient of all...

Edited Spiced Popcorn (20)


Butter! The recipe calls for 4 tbs, or 1/2 stick.

Melt the butter, and then add the dry ingredients and stir until the sugar has dissolved and the ingredients have melded together.

Edited Spiced Popcorn (21)


Now go back to your big bowl of popcorn, and very slowly drizzle about 1/4 of the spice mixture on top. Toss the popcorn, and add 1/4 more, then toss, 1/4 more, toss, the last 1/4, and toss again. The goal is even coverage of the popcorn, so however it works for you!

Edited Spiced Popcorn (23)


Now dig in! This is an awesome salty-savory-sweet popcorn, and it goes great with a Corona on a lazy Saturday afternoon! Enjoy!

14 comments:

  1. I love popcorn, but I've never tried this kind. I might just have to make some tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK--this look amazing--will have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds really goood. I was just thinking the other day that I wanted to try to "dress up" some popcorn. Thanks for visiting my blog earlier. If you end up trying the bok choy recipe I would love to hear how it turns out for you:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks really yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to try this and share on my blog for sure. I'll be sure to share your link. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is an interesting twist to popcorn...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicious! Do you think another type of oil would make it turn out weird?

    Thanks for the follow. I am returning it now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love your spice combination.

    p.s. I've given you an award. Come and get it:
    http://bettycrapper.blogspot.com/2010/06/versatile-blogger.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely going to have to try this. My husbands loves air popped popcorn and any kind of spice. Put them together and this will be a huge hit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Alton B! Have to try this. And your seasonings? Yum!

    It takes me back to my childhood and Jiffypop!

    Thanks for stopping by last week. I'm hosting a 4th of July party for the next 3 weeks - crafts, decor, recipes, celebration - anything to party with! Hope you'll stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, I wanted to let you know I featured you on my blog in a post titled Favorite Things: Recipe Blogs part 1.

    You can check the post out here:
    http://theoverloadedmommy.blogspot.com/2010/06/favorite-things-recipe-blogs-part-1.html

    If you would be interested in having a featured button please comment me back.

    Thanks
    Have a Great Day
    Casey

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds yummy! I LOVE and would highly recommend Fireworks popcorn! You can check them out at www.popcornlovers.com and have it delivered right to your door! They have the most unique seasonings and all are delicious: white cheddar, southwest sizzle, carmel pecan, butter burst, honey mustard....need I say more! Definately a favorite in my house - check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will definitely give this a try. Thanks for the recommendation. Come join me for What's On the Menu Wednesday. I would love to see you there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Katie, I just wanted to let you know that I linked this to my favorite recipes from last week post :)

    ~Aubree Cherie

    ReplyDelete