Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Wine Label Removal

First off, I'd like to take a moment to say I'm so very sorry! I did that last post (Wine Label Anniversary Project) and had no clue so many people would be so interested! Since I didn't expect it to be so gosh darn popular, it didn't occur to me to explain how to properly remove wine labels so they remain pretty and intact.

Heat your oven to 175 degrees.

Yes, you heard me right. We're not soaking, or using fancy "removers." We're using good old fashioned heat.

Once it's heated (which should take all of a minute and a half), put the empty, corkless wine bottle in the oven for 10-12 minutes.

Remove with a pot holder, and begin to peel slowly from one corner, being very careful not to go too fast or it will rip. Once you've got it removed, the sticky side will actually still be sticky, and you can now stick it to a piece of plain white computer paper. These collect really easily and you can keep them in a file until you're ready to cut them out and Mod Podge them to something fun!

The reason this works is because the heat melts the glue that adheres the label to the bottle. Based on my experience - and you can see that I have a LOT of experience - this method will work for about 90% of wine bottles from US-based winemakers. It gets a little trickier when we go country hopping. Old world wine countries (Italy, France, etc) sometimes tend to use more of a cement than a glue. For these, I've got nothin'. Sorry! But other countries with newer production methods (Australia, Chile) tend to lean toward the glue, which works great for this method.

If you're doing something similar with beer bottles, same rules apply.

Good luck! If you do something using wine labels, I'd love to see pics!

Photobucket

13 comments:

  1. Love this! May have to try it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've just received an award on my blog :) Stop by to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'll just be danged! I swear I learn something new every day from bloggers. Have you shared this with Amy @ ModPodgeRocks? She'd love it!

    Thanks for stopping by the other day. Much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANK YOU! I was on my way to figure out how to get the things off without destroying them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very neat! I'm following from New Friend Friday, love your blog, you can visit me at:
    http://knitsandreads.blogspot.com

    ~Lauri (lulu)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since we just started drinking wine, this might come in handy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your modge podge wine label art, each one is a beautiful design and so worthy of keeping and documenting. I'll continue to follow your blog for inspiration! Found ya at "New Friend Friday!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so much easier than what I've been doing! Thanks for the great tip! We've always saved our wine labels and framed them. Now that I've seen your canvas, I know that I have to give it a try!

    Stopping by from SITS.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the tip! I has seen your post about the canvas for your hubby, but I knew it would take us YEARS to collect that many. But, I do plan on mnking alot more of the vases, so I gues I'll have to start saving and think of something to do with them!

    Thanks for stopping by!
    Sam
    Mom.Undecided.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow - fabulous tip! TFS!! I must try this on my next label - who would have thought! Thanks so much for joining The Sunday Showcase. I greatly appreciate it! Hope you have a wonderul week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tip. Thanks for linking to Craftastic Monday - would love if you added the party button to your blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You rock! Is it weird that I'm totally fascinated by your knowledge of glue??

    ReplyDelete
  13. We drink lots of wine too! What works for label removal is a teapot filled w/water, bring to boil & hold the empty bottle over the steam. just be careful not to burn yourself! we have been successful at removing the entire label in one piece. just takes patience, and don't yank the label off...peel from one side, slowly. I will be making a collage, thanks for sharing that great idea! :-)

    ReplyDelete