Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The No-Cost Cat Bed

This was a fantastically productive weekend. We ran a ton of much-needed errands, and then came home and tackled some major projects. First, we cleared out our entire pantry, added new shelving, and put it all back in. It looks better than I could have imagined!

Then, we attacked our bedroom. We completely shuffled everything in the room around, including the outrageously heavy armoire that we were actually incapable of lifting to move. It was an impressive series of lifting and falling and lifting and bouncing the top off the bed to get it to the other side of the room, but now we're completely maximizing the space and it looks awesome.

And since we were on a roll, we decided to make Simon a little cat bed. He always sleeps on the top of our bookcase in the living room, but it's so hard and he has a tendency to nearly fall off when he's in deep sleep.

With the intention of using only scraps and other things we had lying around, we got to work on the new no-cost cat bed.

First, we needed a frame for the shape of the bed. Luckily, when we cleared out the pantry, we found ourselves the proud owners of some useless wood doors.

IMG_1800


Conveniently, they were exactly the width of the bookcase!

So I employed my very handy husband to cut a base and four sides out of the scrap door.

IMG_1802


(please ignore the tears in the screen... courtesy of Simon trying to claw through to get at the birds... wait, why did we make him a custom bed?)

Anyway, back to the project. I added some leftover batting from when I made my new comforter to the base.

box in progress


I then cut apart a soft old blanket for the base, and used trusty Sheila the staple gun to staple down the fabric. I used leftover fabric from my new pillows to then cover the sides so that it would fit in in the living room. Finally, I nailed the sides on and it was done!

edited finished box


It looks great on our bookcase, and ties in so nicely with the pillows. And not to mention, Simon loves it!

edited box on bookcase

3 comments:

  1. Doesn't it feel so good when you get so much accomplished?! I have so much on my to-do list and I just can't wait to just purge!!! And that cat bed is AWESOME!!!! It looks like a designer bed. Simon is one lucky kitty ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! I love how you used the fabric that matched your pillows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great idea. Our kitten would love something like this. You've inspired me to try it.

    ReplyDelete