Saturday, December 11, 2010

Kitchen Experimenting: Sweet Potato Crocks

After Thanksgiving, I had a lone sweet potato living in the fridge, dying to be eaten. But after plenty of mashed sweet potatoes and baked sweet potato fries, I was looking for something a little different. And frankly, I was feeling creative!

I love scalloped potatoes in individual crocks, so I decided to do a sweet potato play on that. And instead of using cream and cheese, I used butter and spices!

Individual Sweet Potato Crocks

Sweet potato
Butter
Brown Sugar
Smoked Paprika
Chipotle Powder
Ancho Chile Powder
Salt

First of all, you'll notice that I have no measurements listed above. Well, there's a refined reason for that, and a not so refined reason.

Refined reason: this recipe should be built to your tastes, so if you like more sweet than smoky, add more brown sugar, less smoked paprika, etc.
Less refined reason: I was making this up as I went, I have no idea how much I used.

So here we go!

Grab your sweet potato, and using a mandoline, slice it into even circles.

sweet potato 1


Melt some butter (I used about 1.5 tbsp), pour over the sweet potatoes, and add the brown sugar, smoked paprika, chipotle powder, ancho chile powder, and a pinch of salt. A note on chipotle powder vs. ancho chile powder: chipotle is VERY spicy, and slightly smoky, where as ancho chile powder is more of a sweet spicy. Be careful with the chipotle powder if you don't like too much spice!

Toss it all together to get all the slices coated in the butter/spice mixture. Next, layer them in some individual sized corningware crocks, and sprinkle a little extra brown sugar on top.

sweet potato 2


Put them in the oven at 375 degrees for 1 to 1.5 hours, or until the layers are all fully cooked. I took them out after 45 minutes thinking they'd be done. They weren't.

sweet potato 3


Spicy, smoky, sweet, delicious!

sweet potato 4

2 comments:

  1. O.H. M.Y. G.O.O.D.N.E.S.S.

    Susannah
    www.uvinyl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I want to adopt you! You are so multi-talented! This looks um...YUM!

    ReplyDelete