Saturday, December 4, 2010

Christmas Decorating on a Budget

We all know that money is already flying here and there around the holidays with presents, plane flights, and parties. So when it's time to decorate your house, and especially if you are newly married or just starting out and you don't have much to start with, you quickly realize that decorations are expensive!

My first Christmas with Chris, I went to Crate & Barrel, armed with the last giftcard from the wedding, thinking, "This is great! I'll get all of our Christmas decorations in one fell swoop!" Needless to say, I walked out of there with only a few ornaments, a little tree, and an ornament hanger. Bust.

But I soon found a way to decorate my entire apartment with just the few family decorations we had received, and $15. What could you possibly buy with $15 that could cover your whole place?

Ribbon: $5
decorations 6


And the jackpot...

Shatter-proof ornaments, pack of 70: $10


That's right, a pack of seventy ornaments for ten bucks! I found this pack at Home Depot, and they have had it for the past three years, including this year. It's the greatest holiday find I have stumbled upon!

So now on to your next question: how do I decorate my whole place with ornaments and ribbon?

Get creative! Put them EVERYWHERE!

Here are some pictures of the many creative ways we used them!


Set alongside the wine bottles I made last year (tutorial over at Mod Podge Rocks!)
decorations 8



Sitting in bowls and vases all over!
decorations 12 decorations 13
decorations 14
decorations 15 decorations 16
decorations 11


We used the ribbon to make a ornament banner to hang across the top of the TV/fireplace and secured it with two thumbtacks.
decorations 9


We even used fishing line (you could use clear/white thread too!) to string the ornaments to hang in the holes of a wine rack!
decorations 10


Finally, we had lots of fun with my empty frame collage. The ribbon and ornaments were great, and we even got to incorporate a cute little garland that was too short to hang on the tree, so needed to be used in a creative new way!
decorations 5 decorations 3
decorations 4 decorations 1
decorations 2


So now our place is decorated with Christmas cheer from floor to ceiling, and it only cost $15!

Visit thecsiproject.com

21 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the ideas. I'm decorating today. I might have to hit the Home Depot for that great find.

    www.shutterbugmama2010.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for being so creative and posting this page. This small ideas are going to help my family create a great Christmas on a small budget. :) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty! I love how everything coordinates! The wine rack with ornaments looks really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all of your decorations! They are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always forget Home Depot for decorations, but I know that they have great stuff. Hard to believe you got that many ornaments so cheap. Next time I need ornaments, I'll have to remember to go there. Love the little garland that you made.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So amazing what you did! I love the ornaments in the wine bottle and the photo collage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously! You are a genius! I love your blog... GREAT IDEAS!!!

    Happy Advent :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome way of stretching $15! I'm so impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It all looks fabulous! Love what you did with the empty frames! I'm a big fan of having ornaments in vases and bowls as well.

    Thanks for linking this up as well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope Home Depot still has those ornaments! I will have to steal many of your ideas for deocrating with them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. saw you on Catch a Glimpse- SUCH creative ideas on a budget!! i really love the decorated empty frames and the ornaments in the wine rack- awesome!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic! Love the simplicity (not to mention how easy it is on the pocketbook) & completely festive effect those ornaments have! :>

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous!!! Next year add another couple of bucks for spray paint - gold, red, whatever. Then go to town painting old 'stuff'.

    But how cute! You're so creative! Love the 'tree'!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow. No way. That was so smart and frugal, I will do that next year! I love pine cones like you love ornaments...might have to incorporate those...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the ornaments in the wine rack! So cute! Thanks for those great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love how you used the ornaments! Such great ideas! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete