Monday, November 30, 2009

Brussels Sprouts: A Hit!

Yes, that's right... a brussels sprouts recipe that everyone loves! I have Thanksgiving to prove it. Chris and I tried this recipe (our own twists on a foodnetwork.com recipe) a couple weeks before Thanksgiving and LOVED it. So much so that we actually made it for Thanksgiving dinner, and everyone, including those who do not like brussels sprouts, were all over it! In fact, I even sent the recipe to my brother who made it before his Thanksgiving and he and his wife also loved it so much that they made it for Turkey Day as well. Go figure! I've sent this recipe to my whole family, and now I have been requested to make it for Christmas!

Katie's Shredded Brussels Sprouts

Ingredients

* 2 slices slab bacon
* 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 3/4 cup water
* 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard (I like country dijon that is more of a stone-ground mustard and still has mustard seed bits in it)
* 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed, halved and very thinly sliced
* 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar

Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, turning once, until crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain on a paper towel. Crumble.

Add onion and salt to the drippings in the pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until tender and browned, about 3 minutes. Add water, vinegar and mustard and scrape up any browned bits. Add Brussels sprouts and cook, stirring often, until tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in the crumbled bacon.


**Depending on how much brussels sprouts I use, I may add mustard and vinegar and taste as I go, adding more until the flavor is right. It's not supposed to be overwhelming mustard/vinegar flavor, but it should cut through the brussels sprouts taste a bit.

Make it and enjoy! I've got references!

0 comments:

Post a Comment