Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Felt Flower Tutorial

Have you ever looked at cute flower brooches in boutique stores and thought, “I could do that!” ?

Well, I do, all the time. I recently was perusing Etsy and came across some adorable felt flowers. I was enamored, so cute! Think of their many uses! Then I looked at the price: $30! Forget that, I’m going to make them myself!

Felt Flower Tutorial

Start with a sheet of felt, whatever color you prefer.

Felt Flower edited(1)


I should warn you ahead of time, yes that is a cutting board, and yes those are my pajamas, and yes I’m sitting cross-legged on the couch on a Saturday morning. Some of the best crafting takes place in these conditions!

Now, cut a scalloped strip out of the felt. I used a pen to mark the tops of my bumps so that they would be relatively even. I spaced them about an inch or so apart.

Felt Flower edited(4)


Ta da!

Felt Flower edited(3)


Then, grab a needle and some thread of the same/approximate color as your felt.

Felt Flower edited(7)


Tie a knot at the end of the thread, and start making relatively big stitches starting on one side of the scalloped felt, like this:

Felt Flower edited(8)


You’ll notice as you start to pull the thread through, the felt starts to fold up on itself and will begin to curl.

Felt Flower edited(9)


Pull it tight, and secure the ends together. So pretty!

Felt Flower edited(11)


But we’re not done! Well, you could be. It would be very pretty as a flower by itself, but you could also keep going!
Grab the felt and cut out another, smaller scalloped strip.

Felt Flower edited(13)


Stitch through the base like we did the original flower, and sew together the ends.

Felt Flower edited(14)


Good! Now tack the smaller flower into the center of the larger flower. I chose to then cut a tiny little circle for the very center of the flower, and stitch in place. Then you’re done!

Felt Flower edited(27)


So cute! You can tack it on anything now. Put it on a purse, sew it to a headband, lots of possibilities! I like to tack it to a safety pin so I can move it all around. Also you can have fun and do different shades for the different layers of the flower. The possibilities are endless!

Felt Flower edited(23)

40 comments:

  1. THe written insturcions are great unfortunetly I"m at work and can't see any of the pictures:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea and tutorial. Thanks for sharing. I have been doing tons of organza flowers but have a lot of felt to play with too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi..I’m Barb….I am from Thurs. Strut your stuff...Love the tutorial. good job!!
    I am your newest follower. I hope you will get a chance to visit my blog @ santasgiftshoppe.blogspot.com
    & get inspired by something for your family/home. I hope you will follow me as well. Nice to meet ya new friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! It turned out fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Following from New Friend Friday! I LOVE this and I will have to try it out! :) Looks super easy!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Following from New Friend Friday! I can tell I'm going to visit you often. Such a cute idea. I cant wait to try this with my daughter. I can see this on a headband. Cute!!!
    Nice to meet You! Happy Friday!
    :) Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Coming by from New Friend Friday. Love the felt flower and love your blog header/title. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi again! Stopping by from New Friend Friday. I'm a new follower. Hope you stop by! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the flower!

    New follower from New Friend Friday- please follow me back at a

    http://helpingunitefatherandson.blogspot.com/

    Happy Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found you on New Friend Friday. I love wine, food, and have just discovered ModPodge. I'm doing a tutorial on covering cardboard composition books with scrapbooking paper using modpodge; it's miracle stuff. I put your button on my blog so I can check you out everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the project! And no worries, all of my crafting takes place with me in my PJs, regardless of day or time! I'm a new follower from New Friend Friday. I love Mod Podge, and your name caught my eye! Feel free to drop in and visit!
    http://mrscamerahappy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. So cute, and it's uses are endless!

    ReplyDelete
  13. it's gorgeous! Wouldn't a jewel, (or jeweled brad) be cute in the center?

    Thanks for sharing!
    jeanette from www.sweetjeanette.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. This so adorable, really cute, check out my satin flower tutorial on my blog, dejavucrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. So cute! And simple! I may actually try this one!

    www.thatredheadedstepchild.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. thanks for the great tutorial! I'm visiting with sugar bee. please come on over and visit me sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for tutorial, I have just found some felt in cute colours and will be making flowers now. ~wendy Blissangels@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Super cute! I love working with felt! Your flower looks fabulous! Great tutorial! Thanks so much for joining The Sunday Showcase. I greatly appreciate it! Hope you are enjoying your week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your blog! I was turned on to it by Mod Podge Rocks. And I love your felt flower and recipe book! I have been having a lot of fun with felt lately, so I appreciate the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a cute flower and thanks so much for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is super cute and a great tutorial! I would love to feature it on Favorite Things Friday next week! Stop bu if you would like a featured button!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am definitely going to try this. you make it look so simple.thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  23. Super cute! I need to make 5 more flowers to embellish our 35 swag bags were giving out at our "AZ Blogger Tour de Thrift" event this weekend and these are it! I'm so excited! I'll link to you when I post them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for posting this. I have always wondered how to make them. I made a few tonight to put on my new camera strap cover. I love how they turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've also been loving felt flowers. I haven't seen this one yet - so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  26. that's how you make this! Love it. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Awesome tutorial! The flowers are so beautiful. I will definitely have to make some of these!
    rubies-pearls.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. OH MY GOODNESS! I love this! I just started making my own paper flowers and just today bought yarn to learn how to crochet my own.. Now I find this! So great! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for tutorial. Its beautiful.

    Val
    www.crieartezzanato.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sweet! Shared this on my own blog... too cute not to! Hope you don't mind :)

    http://salttree.blogspot.com/2011/05/craft-felt-flower-tutorials-compilation.html

    ReplyDelete
  31. Loved your felt flower tutorial! I shared on my blog with a link back to you.
    http://elitedesignsbydaphne.blogspot.com/2011/07/felt-flower-tutorials.html

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great tutorial-thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Can't wait to have a go, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Lovely! Thanks for the tutorial, can't wait to try it. :)
    Cheers, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  35. LOVELY!!! Can not wait to give this a try...looks so much easier thanwhat I have been making!!Thank you for the lesson....

    ReplyDelete
  36. You are one smart cookie. This tutorial is amazing, especially for me as it's not upstairs for thinking but definitely downstairs for dancing ;D

    ReplyDelete
  37. Beguile effect indeed!Really liked it!do share your thoughts about Scratch Card
    as well

    ReplyDelete
  38. ¡Genial! el resultado es una flor preciosa! con tu permiso hemos incluido tu tutorial en nuestro blog,
    te animamos a visitarlo:
    http://elpatiodefranky.blogspot.com.es

    ¡Un saludo!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi, thank you for the tutorial! I have just stumbled upon this post, and decided to make the very same felt flower to put it on a hat for my daughter. It was so easy and nice to make and turned out very cute :)I refer to your tutorial in my blog:
    http://poppygoeshappy.wordpress.com/2012/10/31/the-elephant-hat/

    Thank you again!
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete