Thursday, May 19, 2011

Plants and Pots

I finally got around to Home Depot the other weekend to pick up some vegetable plants for my deck. I picked out some great herbs and veggies, and threw in some pots as well. Since I was starting from scratch and didn't want to break the bank, I bought some plain plastic pots for all the plants.

Of course, when I got home, I knew they were just way too plain for my taste.

I thought about using a little Mod Podge to spruce them up, but I didn't have any papers that would go well with the army-green color of the plastic.

Then in a fabulous *a ha!* moment, I turned to my Silhouette!

Instead of using the silly little plant markers in the soil, I decided to cut out some adhesive vinyl to stick on the sides of the pots. By using the adhesive vinyl, I can also remove them at the end of the summer and that way I can relabel again next year!

So I designed and cut out my labels. For my step-by-step instructions on using the transfer paper, go here.

Silhouette labels


I actually cut out the word "T matoes" in black, and the actual tomato in red, then combined them on the transfer paper so they would be applied together.

Then I stuck them all on, peeled off the transfer paper, and ta da!

Tomatoes


Bell Peppers


Cilantro


Perfect labels, and easy to remove and change for whatever I decide to grow next year!

Now here's hoping these little guys actually survive!

11 comments:

  1. great idea! LOVE potted plants.. way to make the DARLING!!! thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! I love how these turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this! I am now convinced that I need a Silhouette and a sewing machine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very fun. I especially like the tomato for the O in that pot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea, good luck with your vegi's

    ReplyDelete
  6. So creative! I like all the different fonts to keep it interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute! My dad has a great little garden in the backyard too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just wanted to let you know we've featured your blog post at Craft Buds today!

    http://www.craftbuds.com/fresh-picks-for-wednesday-5-25-11/

    ReplyDelete