Thursday, May 26, 2011

Life-Changing Homemade Marshmallows

I've been avoiding it for over a year now, but it's time.

It's time that I share my secret recipe with you.

The recipe that makes people go "oh my."

The recipe that makes people go "how did you...?"

That's right. It's time for the marshmallows.

My brother shared this marshmallow recipe a few years ago, and I thought he was crazy for making his own marshmallows. But being such a sugar addict, I was pretty intrigued. Once I made them for myself, there was no turning back. So be careful, if you make these, you'll never buy the pre-bagged jet puffed ones again.


Basic Vanilla Marshmallows
source

4 gelatin envelopes
3/4 cup water
1 Tbs vanilla extract

3 cups sugar
3/4 cup water
1 1/4 cup corn syrup (Karo)
1/2 tsp salt

Coat a 9x13 and 8x8 pan with vegetable oil or non-stick spray.

Fit a stand mixer with the whisk attachment. In the mixer bowl combine the 3/4 cup of water with vanilla extract. Sprinkle the gelatin over the liquid to bloom (soften).

Marshmallows 1


Add the sugar, salt, corn syrup, and remaining 3/4 cup water to a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil with the lid on and without stirring. When this mixture is at a boil, remove the lid and continue to cook without stirring until it reaches the soft-ball stage (234-240 F).

With the mixer at medium speed, pour all of the hot syrup slowly down the side of the bowl into the awaiting gelatin mixture. If you have a splatter shield for your mixer, I highly suggest you use it. This is going to whip for a long time and it will definitely splatter, and molten sugar is very hard to clean off counters and cabinets!

When all of the syrup is added, bring the mixer up to full speed. Whip until the mixture is very fluffy and stiff, about 8-10 minutes. Yes, you read that right!

Marshmallows 2


Pour the marshmallow fluff into the oiled pans and pat the bottom to get all bubbles to surface. Allow the mixture to sit, uncovered at room temp for 10 to 12 hours. Place in on a high surface if you have a kitty that loves to lick sugar.

Marshmallows 3


Sift confectioners sugar generously over the rested marshmallow slab. Turn the slab out onto a cutting board dusted with more confectioners sugar.

Marshmallows 4


Slice with a pizza cutter into desired shapes. Dip all cut edges in sugar and shake off excess powder.

Marshmallows 5


These marshmallows are the softest, most pillowy squares of sugary heaven you will ever taste. And you will never be the same.

Marshmallows 6 (2)


Marshmallows will keep several weeks at room temp in a ziplock, but I'll be shocked if you make it that long without eating them all!

14 comments:

  1. Pro tip - in the 'blooming' stage, gelatin usually doesn't smell great, once the sugar is added though it will be fine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been meaning to make homemade marshmallows but I don't have a stand mixer *gasp*.. I keep telling the hubby it'll be worth it to him, but nothing yet. Anyhow, I'll be keeping this recipe..they look amazing. Great pictures too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM!!! I can't wait to try these :) Best smores ever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MY WORD!!! Just in time for summer and 'SMORE season! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love these! the first time i made marshmallows we were at brandon's aunt's house. i sprayed the pans with pam not realizing it was olive oil flavored pam. all that work for very weird tasting 'mallows! yours look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. I never thought about making my own marshmellos, but they're really cute! And it would give me an excuse to break in my new stand mixer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Thank you for sharing this top-secret treat on Momtrends!

    ReplyDelete
  8. very cool!! i have to try this soon! found you over at craft envy, stop by for a visit sometime :)

    Jackie
    http://jaclyndesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow! YUM! these look really really good! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would check out my blog and follow me too! Thanks!
    -Nikki
    http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to try this recipe. How much does an envelope of gelatine weigh? thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can we say yummy! Stopping by from the Sugarbeecrafts party. I would love for you to come link up to my party too, going on all week! Thanks
    ~Iffy~

    www.stayathomenation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh my! Must try!!
    Would you be willing to link up to our weekly Playdate party at http://beneaththerowantree.blogspot.com/2011/05/playdate-link-party-everyone-welcome.html ?

    Cheers,
    Lori
    http://beneaththerowantree.com
    Come & Play!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay, YUM!! I need to try these for my next party I host! Thanks for sharing and thanks for linking up at Sassy Sites for our ffa party! Have a wonderful weekend! xoxo!!

    -Marni

    ReplyDelete