Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Recycled Business Cards, DIY Style

I'm so excited to go to Creative Estates this weekend. So many fun bloggers and handmade shop owners will be there, and I can't wait to finally meet them all in person!

In addition to all the lovely ladies I already "know" through blogs/twitter/etc, I'm sure I'll meet plenty of new faces. That's why I decided I really should have business cards for my blog. Sure, I don't really sell anything, but it's nice when I tell people about my blog to be able to hand them something with the URL. Otherwise I have to trust that they'll go look me up on their own accord, which is just too much effort.

Anyway, I thought about ordering cards, but I'm not much on the computer-design savvy side of life. Also, I really like making things myself, and have seen lots of cute designs that people have made out of old cereal boxes, hand-cut cardboard, and more.

Then I remembered that I had a big stack of business cards that were pretty much worthless. My company recently changed its name and location, so literally the only thing valid on my old business cards was my name. And the best part? The back was completely blank!

custom stamp felt


So I ordered a custom stamp. This stamp was listed on Etsy as a wedding stamp, but I made it work for my blog! I also grabbed some felt. I thought it would be a great way to cover up the old job side of the business card.

business cards mod podged on felt


I stamped each business card, then grabbed my trusty Mod Podge. I brushed some Mod Podge on the backs of each business card (previously the front!) and stuck it down directly onto the felt. I rubbed it down well so that it would soak into the felt and really adhere.

diy recycled business cards


Then I simply cut them all out, and there you have it! Repurposed, recycled, DIY, handmade business cards!

And they're fun and colorful to boot :)

handmade business cards diy


I can't wait to hand them out to the crafty ladies at Creative Estates!


Don't forget about the fun Wine Accessories giveaway going on right now with The Elephant's Trunk! Enter here!

43 comments:

  1. This is such a great idea- and super cute as well! Great job! Hopefully I'll get the chance to meet you and snag one at Creative Estates! :)
    xoxo,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. super cute. love the colorful felt on the back! too bad my old business cards are double-sided...boohoo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I have tons of business cards with very old info on them. Can't wait to try this out.

    -Lisa
    grassgreendesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. such a great idea!! I think I want to do this too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. GIRL. this is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea and I love your stamp design. Great way to recycle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea! Love the felt. Hope I get to meet you at Creative Estates!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute! I went ahead and ordered some. Can't wait to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a brilliant idea, and I really like the addition of the felt - gives people something to remember!!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for posting, I love the colors and texture the felt provides, what a great (simple) idea. Can't wait to whip up something for me to take to the local craft fair on Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very clever...and colorful! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i can't wait to get one of these cards!!!! you know what?! that is one thing i forgot to grab, more business cards! i hope i have enough~~ see you tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Genius idea!!

    Sadie from randomosityblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute! I just might have to try this too...

    Jeanna @ dramaqueenseams.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is SOOO cute! I love it! I'm your newest follower by the way and I'm about to put up your button my blog too... : )

    ReplyDelete
  16. how creative! these are absolutely adorable!

    -caroline @ c.w.frosting

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your cards look great. The felt will make them memorable...

    Are you going to SITS here in Chicago? I am! Lmk if you are...

    Have fun down in Arizona for CE!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm jealous you got to go to creative estates! ha! These are super cute and I'm sure everyone loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Business cards is the most important element of your visual identity. It's the first thing people see when they meet you.Here is a collection of business cards to inspire people. Plastic Business Cards

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are AWESOME - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is such a great idea. Love the touch of felt on the back! Featuring this today...
    http://embellishinglifeeveryday.blogspot.com/2011/04/check-out-these-great-ideas.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a great idea! I love the simplicity of them.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the "green" aspect of this and they're cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great idea! Love that you were able to recycle the old ones!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a genius idea! Now I've got to dig out some old cards to revamp. You've been featured today at Craftastic Monday - be sure to grab a Featured On button:)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love this idea! Gotta love Mod Podge!!!I am a new follower!
    dreaming-n-color.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. These are great Katie - I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I saw Plaid Crafts mention you on Facebook. I'm a new follower, now. I love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love the creativity! I made my own business cards for a blog conference too--not as cool as yours! :)

    I'm your newest follower. I found you via Mod Podge Rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I like that cards it is so simple but i wanted stylish and colorful but this one is so likable.

    Clear business cards

    ReplyDelete
  32. Opening your own business is an exciting venture. One of the first things you should do to ensure your success is write a business plan.

    sugar

    ReplyDelete
  33. I absolutely LOVE that idea. I wish I would have saw this before I threw all of them away. :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Yes, according to Rafael Canare, executive director of the Association of Filipino Franchisers Inc. (AFFI), a group that aims to promote micro, small and medium enterprises. One of AFFI’s main projects is the Filipino Franchise Show, with this year’s event to be held from October 12 to 14 at the World Trade Center. Guide

    ReplyDelete