Friday, April 29, 2011

Guest Post :: Lobster Bisque

Readers, please welcome this fun guest post from a great cook, fun business owner, and fantastic cousin of mine! Enjoy!



Hi FW&MP fans! My name is Sarah, and I’m proud to be guest-posting on this blog! I have a few things in common with the lovely Katie P: we both love food, wine, and being creative! (I’m also proud to say that she’s my cousin!) For me, my creative passions include singing, acting and developing my own brand of healthy bath and beauty products.



Sugared Beauty, LLC specializes in dessert-themed handmade skin care made from organic ingredients. (You can find them at my shop on Etsy!) I develop all the products from scratch in my kitchen, and when I’m not working on making sugar scrubs or trying to created the perfect chocolate-flavored lip balm, I trade my lab coat for an apron and use my kitchen to make delicious FOOD!

This recipe for lobster bisque came to me from a dear friend. It’s surprisingly easy and will not disappoint! The sweet and creamy broth is perfected by the sherry, and be sure to keep plenty of Old Bay on hand for added seasoning.

Enjoy, and thanks to Katie and FW&MP for the happy hijacking of her blog so I could share this wonderful recipe with all of you!


Lobster Bisque

1 - 2 cups cooked lobster meat (you can now find lobster meat frozen or canned in most supermarkets, otherwise buy one and cook it yourself) If you strike out in both cases, I’ve cut up raw, peeled and deveined shrimp and no one was the wiser...
1/2 cup dry sherry
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup onion, diced
1/4 cup celery, diced
1/4 cup carrot, diced
Salt and white pepper, to taste
1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning, or to taste
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 cups whole milk
1 cup half and half
1 cup chicken stock (if you have lobster stock, use that instead)

Combine the lobster meat with the sherry. Cover and refrigerate.

In a hot pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Once it stops sputtering, add the onion, celery, carrot, salt and pepper and Old Bay. Stir and let cook until the vegetables are translucent and are getting soft.

Add the tomato paste and cook for another couple of minutes.

Add the flour and cook for two to three minutes, stirring all the time.

While whisking, add the cold milk, half and half and stock and bring to a boil. Let boil for about 1 minute, still whisking constantly. Turn the heat down and let simmer until slightly reduced.

Now, you have two options.

Option 1: using an immersion blender, blend the soup until smooth.

Option 2: Strain the soup through a fine mesh strainer, pressing down on the solids.

Taste, and add more salt, pepper or Old Bay, if you think it needs it. (We thought it did!) Add the reserved lobster and sherry to the pot and simmer for just a couple of minutes, so the lobster is heated through.

Serve with some nice crusty bread, and enjoy!

9 comments:

  1. that looks so delicious!! thanks, sarah, for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH how I {heart} Lobster Bisque! I am definitely going to have to give this a try. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOO, elegance! Lobster is my favorite food and such a rare treat. I'm bookmarking this to give it a try soon. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sigh. You give me another recipe my husband is going to beg for. Okay, that's it. He is cooking and I am sending him here for all the recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um, can you say Yum?! I'm featuring you on my Flaunt it Friday features, stop by and grab an "I was featured" button if you'd like. Thanks for linking up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. DAH-ROOL! Ohmygosh I have got to make this! Thanks for the recipe ladies! mwah!

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  7. Made this last night and it turned out great! We'll definitely be making again! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is this the Fanny Farmer Recipe? I make the Lobster Bisque from Fanny Farmer and this looks like the same one, the ingredients and the picture. It looks like the only thing added was the Old Bay Seasoning which I will do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is my favorite bisque recipe! Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete