Sunday, June 6, 2010

Happy Anniversary!

Today is my anniversary with my wonderful husband. I can't believe another year has flown by! The reason I'm bringing this up on the blog though is because my anniversary gift to him last year was the straw that broke the camel's back; it was the first project I used Mod Podge to make since high school. It's also the first project that got me into the blogging world. As you can see, it's been a slippery slope!

One year ago....

Chris and I had been saving all of our wine labels in a book from that first year of marriage, and about a month before our anniversary, I got the bright idea to decoupage them into a piece of wall art to hang above our couch. I knew he'd love it because, 1) he LOVES wine, and 2) he didn't like the picture frames we had above our couch and was looking for a bigger piece of art to hang up there anyway.

So I ordered a plain canvas online, a 30"x30" canvas. It arrived, and I started to cut the wine labels out of the book, and you know what? It takes a TON of wine labels to cover a 30"x30" canvas! WAY more than we had. I think we had something like 25 or 30 labels... that hardly covered a corner of the thing. Needless to say, I couldn't finish this alone. So I called in the Moms. I begged them to please please please save all their wine labels from every bottle they consumed, and start mailing them to me so I could do this thing!

Well, because of my poor planning, I was only able to tell my husband about his gift, I had nothing to show him yet. And since I was getting help from family sending me wine labels, I decided to let them know the progress of the project by starting a little blog for them to follow along. I go back and look at it now, and still can't believe I wasn't able to finish the darn thing until October! But in the end, I am so proud of it; it really is one of my favorite Mod Podge projects I have ever done.

Wine Label Project edited(14)

Wine Label Project edited(15)


I then very clearly caught the crafting and blogging bug, because the Food, Wine, & Mod Podge blog you know and love today was started the very next month after I finished this project. And look how far we've come!

If you're interested in seeing the step-by-step for the wine label project, I do go through the whole process in the old blog. Hope you enjoy!

http://winelabelproject.blogspot.com/


**Note: For how to remove wine labels easily, go to my post on Wine Label Removal

32 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary and what a great idea. I love that it incorporates something you two have shared with something you like to do and became a piece of art for your home. My kind of project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy anniversary. Lovely reminder of what you both love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary!!! Love the wine label project - how cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE IT! Rombauer and Cakebread are my absolute favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary and OH MY WORD I love the art! My husband would die if I did something like this for him. Thank you for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. happy anniversary! gawd, the size of that thing! and you mod podged it all by yourself...wow.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We share an anniversary! My hubby and I celebrated 12 years yesterday, each year better than the last. I love this artwork and the sentimental meaning behind it. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Um...I love this! So easy, and makes such a wonderful statement!

    :) Have a super week!
    Erin
    craftsandsutch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This turned out really great! Thanks for linking to Craftastic Monday - would love if you added the party button to your blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I just stumbled across your blog and I am in love! Specifically with this wine label project - - I will be following your blog from here forward!
    ~ Melissa
    goldpaint.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cool. I love the wrapped canvas look.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice :) Thanks for linking up to MMM...I am going to feature this next Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know this is an old post - but I'm just reading for the first time. I love this project idea! What's the best way to get the labels off without ripping them?
    Thanks!

    Allison W.
    strickak@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I married a beer snob, so I would love to try this with his gourmet beer labels. Wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How do you get the wine labels off? I have a book for labels and rarely can get one off properly. Oh, my anniversary was June 8.....but a much larger numbe of years than yours!! I would love to do something modpodgy with my wine labels.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now that is a great idea, you are a smart gal and I bet your Hubby loved it! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I absolutely LOVE this idea!!! Happy Anniversary!!! Thanks for adding the details of how to make it... I can't wait to make one for my house!!! - Micah-
    http://finerthingsinlife-micah.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Anniversary! So glad I found you - since food, wine and Mod Podge are three of my faves too! Love this project so much! You are a genius. Thanks for the tutorial on taking of the wine label. So fired up to start saving labels. Thanks so much. Your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this project, it's way cool!

    First time to your blog, and I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great project! Thanks for sharing. I will be linking to your fabulous idea!

    Brooke
    thecraftcave.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great idea! I think I will have to start saving up to do one of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks amazing!! We love wine too and we have a bit of a wine theme going on in our dining room. This would be great for my dining room!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's quite amazing! I followed the link from the SITS website, and wish you a happy SITS day!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great idea! I love how you incorporated something you & your husband share & love, and was able to turn it into art.

    I'm visiting from SITS & hope you have a great SITS day :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Cute idea....
    We used to be into wine.....doing the tasting tours and parties....not so much any more. But while we were, we collected a boat load of labels that are inside a binder with notes on each wine. yawn....
    Your display is so...SO....much more fun. Our binder is lost amongst books in a bookcase collecting dust.....while your labels are color, amusement and memories to remember out on your wall. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I came over from SITS, congrats on being featured. This project, with the wine labels, is so COOL! What a great job that you did with it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Visiting from SITS. Great idea! Your Anniversary project came out beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  28. WOW! That is something. What a great job you did! Must have been fun.

    Visiting from SITS... hope you've had a wonderful day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I ran across this on Pinterest actually and think it is a great idea. I'm curious as to what you used to lift the labels off of the bottles? I have bought the label remover stickers from Sur la Table and sometimes they lift right off and sometimes they don't. So any tips or tricks you can share I would appreciate it!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I just discovered your blog in 2017! I wonder what kind of glue you used when positioning the labels? We plan to try to recreate this collage ourselves.

    ReplyDelete