Saturday, May 22, 2010

My Favorite Breakfast

This is my favorite breakfast. If I could eat this every morning forever, I would be one happy camper.

Egg hash crock edited(1)


Know what it is yet? And no, it's not soup. I just found these little vintage crocks at a little store once and couldn't resist!

Egg hash crock edited(2)


Does this give you a better idea?

A little bit? But what's hiding under those eggs?

Egg hash crock edited2 (18)


Ohhh delicious! Hiding under the eggs, with their sinfully runny yolk, is a hash of potatoes, onions, and orange and green bell peppers. To die for! The reason why I love this meal so much is how well all of these flavors go together in one bite. Personally, and I'm not ashamed to admit this, I eat this with a spoon so you can get all the yolk and little pieces in one bite. Once you break into the egg, the yolk starts to coat the hash, and you get this wonderful smooth coat all over the crispy, soft potatoes. It's absolutely to die for. Then, you take a bite of the crunchy bacon, and, well, everything is right with the world!

Here's how I do it:

Cut up potatoes into small, bite-size pieces. Then season them. I like to use seasoned salt and some freshly ground black pepper, but as I always say with spices, do it however you like! Then put in a bowl and throw them in the microwave until they are soft and can just be poked through with a fork. Do it a couple minutes at a time to make sure you don't overcook.

While the potatoes are in the microwave, put a pan on the stove with some oil in it (2 tbs or so) and turn the heat on high.

Next, cut up some bell peppers and onions, also into fairly small pieces. Since all the flavors need to go together, they need to be small enough to all fit into your mouth at the same time!

Once the oil is hot enough to sizzle, throw the potatoes in to get a good crisp on the outside. I prefer to flip them in the pan rather than stir them around, but do whatever you're comfortable with. About two minutes in, turn the heat down to medium and toss the peppers and onions in too, and get them all mixing around together, getting nice and crispy.

When you think they're ready, put them to the side and put a top on the pan so they retain heat.

Now for the eggs. If you noticed in the pictures, I actually had two eggs that were cooked together to create a little egg lid on my crock. I did this by using a teeny tiny non-stick pan. The base of this pan is 4-5 inches in diameter, tops. Put a little butter in the bottom of the pan, and heat. Once it is hot, crack the eggs in. I prefer over-easy eggs, so I let them cook until the underside has a firm white, then I flip the whole thing over for about 30 more seconds so the remaining white cooks, but the yolk does not.

Then scoop some of the hash into a bowl, or in my case a little crock, and slide the egg topper right on. I then sprinkle a little more seasoned salt on top of the eggs for some flavor.

Serve with some bacon, and you've got a delicious breakfast!

Egg hash crock edited2 (18)

4 comments:

  1. Hey, hope you are going to make that for us next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious! And a reminder that I need to look for dishes like that when I'm scouting the thrift shops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that looks delicious! Will be trying that for sure. Thanks for visiting my site today, I'm following you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found you on Follow Me Fridays. If you check out http://nancooks.blogspot.com, you will see I am not a breakfast fan, but I have to eat it...I actually love your breakfast idea...anything with crispy potatoes and bacon gets my vote...and yes, I know I need that egg on top!

    ReplyDelete