Saturday, May 15, 2010

Grilled Cheese for Grown Ups

I love a good grilled cheese sandwich. There's nothing like a hot grilled cheese made with Velveeta, dunked into tomato soup. It's gooey, and delicious, and reminds me of my childhood.

But who says grilled cheese sandwiches have to be childish? Can't there be a grown-up, sophisticated version?

Heck ya!

The other night, Chris was off playing softball, so I was left to my own devices in the kitchen. I was searching through the fridge for something simple to make for one, and as I saw the bread... the brie... an idea popped into my head!

Grilled Brie & Fig Jam Grilled Cheese

I'll pause a moment and wait to let that sink in.

Good?

Ok, here we go!

Start with some really good, fresh bread. Don't use the Wonderbread for this baby.

Brie Fig Grilled Cheese edited(3)


Slice it into two pieces, not too thick, but definitely not too thin.

Brie Fig Grilled Cheese edited(11)


Next, butter one side of each slice. While you're doing this, start heating up a nonstick pan on the stove.

Brie Fig Grilled Cheese edited(12)


Once the pan is quite hot, put the bread in butter side down. Now turn the heat down to medium.

Brie Fig Grilled Cheese edited(17)


Let it sit there until you are happy with the browning. I prefer a little char on mine, but if you prefer it a little less toasty, by all means!

Brie Fig Grilled Cheese edited(25)


Now, grab your brie and fig jam.

Brie Fig Grilled Cheese edited(19)


On the non-buttered, non-browned side, spread the fig jam on one slice, and place the brie on the other.

Brie Fig Grilled Cheese edited(31)


Ok... so three slices of the brie would've been just fine, but I had already cut four, so I just threw it all on there. A little extra cheese never hurt anybody! (Don't tell your cardiologists I said that.)

Next, we want to broil the slices. I use a toaster oven for this, but if you don't have a toaster oven, the regular oven will work just fine.

Brie Fig Grilled Cheese edited(34)


Now carefully monitor your sandwich. You'll notice the fig jam will start to make big bubbles as the sugar starts to heat and boil. You may need to pull the fig jam slice out first if it looks caramelized enough.

Brie Fig Grilled Cheese edited(37)


Doesn't that look good? What you can't see in this picture is that the fig jam has actually sort of candied itself, and is now almost a crunchy sweet fruit candy layer on my bread.

Then, once the brie starts to brown on the edges (or when you just don't have the patience to wait any longer...) pull the other slice out.

Brie Fig Grilled Cheese edited(38)


Finally, put them together, and you've got yourself a killer grilled cheese sandwich!

Brie Fig Grilled Cheese edited(49)


Sure, the Velveeta-Wonderbread grilled cheese will always have a place in my heart, but from now on, this sandwich will have a place reserved in my stomach.

13 comments:

  1. There is no way you got chris to eat this ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to have to try this, although I had one bad experience with brie... but I want to love it, so this will have to be on the list to try. I am so glad you came and joined the party! See you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH. EM. GEE. I have to eat this right now. I can't read your blog at work anymore, if you keep doing this to my appetite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had me at brie! Totally delicious!!!!

    www.makingmemorieswithyourkids.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks wonderful! Great Job!! Barb from santasgiftshoppe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nom Nom as my teenager says. That looks delicious! Thanks for stopping by my place ( http://answerischocolate.blogspot.com/). I am looking for a follow button for your blog...am I missing it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy! I love grilled cheese and this looks delicious. I love your blog! Thanks for visiting this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUMMMY THAT LOOKS GOOD!

    ~L~
    join me for SHOE REVAMP WEEK 4/24-28
    avidaccents.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've been featured on The Girl Creative. Go check it out!! :)

    http://thegirlcreative.blogspot.com/2010/05/shes-so-talented-saturday-shout-out.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, wow, what a wonderful looking sandwich! I love grilled cheese, this sounds like a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made fig jam this year. Oh boy does this sound good!

    We like grilled cheese with basil and tomato inside, too. Of course, it's more like a panini tht way, but it sure is good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have done something similar to this, but with apple slices instead of the jam! Very delicious!! :)

    ReplyDelete