Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Glass Etched Liquor Bottles

I have exciting news:

I bought a Silhouette!

It’s true, I finally broke down and bought one. I’ve been planning projects in my head for months, so with Christmas fast approaching and thus upcoming Christmas presents to be made, I bit the bullet and bought one.

I know, I know, I wanted a Le Creuset dutch oven… So that is now put on hold. The sole reason why my lovely Silhouette beat out the Le Creuset was because I am still decorating my new home, and the Silhouette would play a key role in that. If I bought the Le Creuset instead, my home would remain unfinished.

So when I ordered my Silhouette, I ordered a couple other things at the same time for what I knew just had to be my first project:

Adhesive Vinyl.

Glass Etching Cream.

That’s right! Time to do some glass etching!

In our kitchen/dining area, we have this striking black demilune chest with a matching mirror above it. It’s really a beautiful piece of furniture. Though it was in the living room at our old place, its new location leant itself well to become a small bar area on top. We bought a black tray, and instead of buying fancy liquor bottles, I decided I should make some myself and customize them by etching the glass. Not surprisingly, we have a wine theme throughout the house, so as a twist on the usual liquor bottles, I saved a few different clear wine bottles to use.

Now let me tell you, clear wine bottles are not as common as you might think, so I did actually have to have this planned for a while to get three different clear bottles. But I’m so glad I did, because these turned out fabulous!

So let’s jump in to the project!

I started by creating in the Silhouette software how I wanted each label to look: Vodka, Scotch, Tequila. I wanted them all to be a little unique, but still appear as a set. Once I had it all arranged, I ran the vinyl through the cutter to get my outlines for the etching cream.

I adhered the vinyl to each bottle (all three thoroughly cleaned) and applied the etching cream.

edited Glass etching liquor bottles (1)


edited Glass etching liquor bottles (2)


I applied two applications of 8 minutes each, and washed off after each application **Note – do not wash this off in a ceramic sink. I don’t have a ceramic sink so I can’t speak from experience, but I hear it’s bad.

This was so easy to do, and the results are fantastic! They look both unique and professional, and no one would’ve guessed I made them in my kitchen one Sunday night with old wine bottles. If you have a cutting machine, you have to give it a try!

edited Glass etching liquor bottles (4)

edited Glass etching liquor bottles (3)

edited Glass etching liquor bottles (6)

edited Glass etching liquor bottles (7)

22 comments:

  1. These look so great! how much was the machine? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no doubt that glass is one of the most useful inorganic materials used now a day. As we all know that the glass is used to manufacture a number of products that are used both at the domestic and commercial levels. RS Glass bottle

      Delete
  2. Love it! I'm SO jealous of your new purchase!

    Are you still overseas?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome job! And that certainly beats using an x-acto knife--wow, now I *really* want a silhouette!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm impressed, those look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the best thing I've seen in ages. I am soooo going to try this!

    Jenny
    www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. What did you use as stoppers for the tops of the bottles, just silver wine stoppers?

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMGOsh, I ♥♥♥ your bottles. They do look professionally done. I have the cricut machine so I will be trying this. Thanks for the inspirationŸ

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your blog :) I found you at C.R.A.F.T. and I am your newest follower! After seeing this post, I REALLY want a silhouette now! haha :)

    www.thecraftycrystal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Katie, These are gorgeous! Fantastic idea! Thanks so much for linking to the Sunday Showcase Party! I greatly appreciate it! I'll be featuring this today - stop by and grab a feature button if you like. Hope you are enjoying your week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bought my Le Creuset at the factory outlet for a steal, and they also regularly have them at TJMaxx/Marshalls...less colors at the latter, but I wouldn't pay full price knowing how often I see them marked down!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are not helping my Silhouette envy! This is great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well...those are just beautiful! I agree with Patty above.....a bit of Silhouette envy! Need to check this machine out! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are ABSOLUTELY fabulous. BEYOND fabulous! What a terrific job.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Totally love that idea! I've been itching to etch something lol Now you've given me ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this so much I featured it on my blog today :)
    hope that is ok and come check it out when you have a moment!

    Jenny
    www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. How did I miss these! Party at your house!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your bottles came out great! What brand of etching cream did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the nice blog. It was very useful for me. I'm happy I found this blog. Thank you for sharing with us,I too always learn something new from your post
    RS Glass bottle

    ReplyDelete