Wednesday, July 28, 2010

10 Fun Facts About Wine

1. The color of the wine comes from the skin of the grapes. Even red grapes have white juice, and will only become red wine if it comes in contact with the skins. A Rose, or Blush, will have only brief contact with the skins.

2. According to Wikipedia, wine’s origins seem to be able to be traced to the borders of Georgia and Iran, from around 6000 BC.

3. France, Italy, and Spain have the highest wine production in the world.

4. A 2007 study found that both red and white wines are effective anti-bacterial agents against strains of Streptococcus, commonly known as Strep.

5. The most effective packaging method to preserve the wine is in a vacuum-sealed bag, often put in a box to dispense. Commonly associated with low quality wines, however, this method is not likely to be adopted by serious wineries.

6. A Garagiste is an amateur wine-maker.

7. The science of wine is called oenology.

8. A “cork-tease” is someone who talks about the wines he or she will open, but never does.

9. The Code of Hammurabi (1800 B.C.) includes a law that punishes fraudulent wine sellers: They were to be drowned in a river.

10. One ton of grapes makes about 60 cases of wine, or 720 bottles. One bottle of wine contains about 2.8 pounds of grapes.

8 comments:

  1. Didn't know there was such thing as a cork-tease. Thanks for the info. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great trivia for my next wine tasting party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just started drinking wine a few years ago so I am a novice in the wine world. I have been told that nearly everyone starts with sweet wines and progress to a less sweet variety. I am enjoying white wines, still leaning toward the sweeter but no longer the sweetest wines.
    Thanks for teaching us more about wine in your post:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love wine..just came from wine tasting at the wineries in Long Island...following you from New Friends Friday....come follow back...


    www.beaderbubbe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Hammurabi on this one. I do love my Pinot Noir! SITS sent me by, and I'm glad they did...

    Home Run

    ReplyDelete
  6. Visiting and following from New Friend Friday! My hubs is a HUGE wine nut and I often find myself in the position of "cork-tease"! Love your blog (and that wreath from your previous post!)

    Have an awesome day!
    Briana
    (Priester's Peace)

    ReplyDelete